Wednesday, June 14, 2017

My Inquiry Idea, Interactive Gallery Walk


Should Students be Allowed to Listen to Music in the Classroom When They Write?

Initially my thought was to pursue the idea of whether or not it was beneficial for students to listen to music in my classroom when they are writing.  I am still considering this as a topic, as I feel it is relevant to what I will be teaching.  Even though I won't be teaching an actual English Language Arts class, I do plan on having students within my technology classes use class time for various activities that will require writing across the curriculum.  I would like to feel confident that I have a tried and tested methodology and response when students will ultimately ask me if they can listen to music in class.



Upon further reflection myself, and after reading comments from my classmates within the Summer Institute, I think there are more questions about this topic to consider.  I don't know if this question will necessarily have a single answer.  Perhaps the best answer to this inquiry idea might be a varied answer.  Maybe music is best allowed for certain types of projects, during certain situations.  Perhaps even certain types of music might better fit different stages of the process... Still thoughts to consider...

1 comment:

  1. Great thought provoking comments and questions from your peers. I'm curious to see what you find and I agree with your reflection that the answers or situations may be varied based on context or situation. I also admire your commitment to engaging students in writing activities outside of LA courses. We as writers don't observe strict boundaries about when or where we write, so it's a valuable lesson to teach to our students as well.
    Keep inquiring!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete